[Completed] [Scheduled Maintenance] melbourne-qh2 and melbourne-qh2-uom zones, 2018-12-17 09:00 AM to 2018-12-18 18:00 PM (AEDT)
- Services affected: University of Melbourne Research Cloud
- Outage Window: 2018-12-17 09:00 AM AEDT to 2018-12-18 18:00 PM AEDT
- Affected Availability Zones: melbourne-qh2, melbourne-qh2-uom
A large proportion of the UoM Research Cloud infrastructure is currently connected to a legacy Cisco network environment. This network is at capacity and does not allow us to improve performance further nor deploy more cloud capacity, including the 4000 cores we recently purchased. In response, we have built a new high-performance research network and therefore require a scheduled two-day outage of UoM Research Cloud to do the following:
- Network switch upgrades
- Migrate UoM cloud compute and storage to new high-performance research network
- Bring into production new high performance NVMe-based cloud storage
- Perform various maintenance tasks to allow the deployment of new UoM Cloud Expansion hypervisors and HPC compute nodes
Beginning at 09:00 AM on Monday, 2018-12-17, all UoM Research Cloud instances in the melbourne-qh2 and melbourne-qh2-uom availability zones will be shut down to accommodate the above tasks.
By 18:00pm Tuesday, 2018-12-18, all UoM Research Cloud instances will be restored to their previous state prior to the scheduled outage. We will send out notifications when service is fully resumed.
What Users Need To Do
To minimise risks to your instances, prior to the start of Monday 2018-12-17, please ensure important data is backed up, and critical instances are snapshotted. Please shut down your instances before the outage window begins, else we will shut them down at the start of the maintenance window. If your instances are no longer in use, please delete/terminate them.
Guide for snapshotting and backup of cloud instances: https://support.ehelp.edu.au/solution/articles/6000175790-snapshots
If you require help regarding this scheduled maintenance, please contact us via email@example.com or call (+61 3) 834 40999 and ask for the Research Cloud support.