NeCTAR have packaged MediaWiki into the Application Catalogue so you can create your own instance of MediaWiki running in the NeCTAR cloud.
To create the application, click the Applications tab, then the Applications sub-tab. If you don't immediately see MediaWiki, just type it into the search field on the right. Once you've found it, click Quick Deploy.
Click the LAMP server - Add Application button to configure the MediaWiki LAMP server.
Choose your desired Instance flavor, the NeCTAR CentOS 7 instance image, your Key Pair and the Availability Zone. Click Next to continue.
The last step allows you to provide a name for the LAMP base application. You can keep the default, LAMPBase, or supply your own. Click Create to continue.
Your LAMP server will now be available in the MediaWiki configuration. Click Next to continue.
Provide the required database configuration settings for MediaWiki:
- MySql root password is used for root user access to the MySql server. Avoiding weak passwords is important for the protection of your data.
- Site name is the name of the MediaWiki site. The default database name is MediaWiki.
- Username and Password used by MediaWiki to connect to the MediaWiki database. The default username is wikiuser. This password is also the initial WikiSysop user password for MediaWiki.
Click Next to continue.
The last step allows you to provide a name. You can keep the default, MediaWiki, or supply your own. Click Create to continue.
You will then be taken to the Application Environments screen. You'll want to click the Deploy This Environment button to kick off the deployment.
The application is now being deployed. This should take around 5 minutes.
MediaWiki is now deployed and ready. You should see the Last Operation message appear with the address of your MediaWiki instance. You can click this link to get started.
You will reach the MediaWiki start page. Click the Log in link..
You can login as the MediaWiki WikiSysop user with the Password you provided earlier.
The MediaWiki is now available!
MediaWiki is configured as follows:
- Wiki pages are publicly viewable
- Anyone can create an account using the Create account link on the Wiki Main page
- New accounts have read-only access
- WikiSysop can assign write access to users from Main page - > Tools -> Special Pages -> User rights management
The fail2ban service is configured to monitor access to the MediaWiki login page. Too many access attempts will result in the temporary banning of an offending IP address.
You can use the fail2ban-client command on your instance to manage the fail2ban service.
To check the MediaWiki fail2ban status:
$ sudo fail2ban-client status mediawiki-murano Status for the jail: mediawiki-murano |- Filter | |- Currently failed: 0 | |- Total failed: 5 | `- File list: /var/log/httpd/access_log /var/log/httpd/ssl_access_log `- Actions |- Currently banned: 1 |- Total banned: 1 `- Banned IP list: 10.10.10.100
To un-ban MediaWiki access for the IP address (10.10.10.100 in this example):
$ sudo fail2ban-client set mediawiki-murano unbanip 10.10.10.100 $ sudo fail2ban-client status mediawiki-murano Status for the jail: mediawiki-murano |- Filter | |- Currently failed: 0 | |- Total failed: 5 | `- File list: /var/log/httpd/access_log /var/log/httpd/ssl_access_log `- Actions |- Currently banned: 0 |- Total banned: 1 `- Banned IP list: