[Completed] [Service Disruption] Tasmania and SA availability zones Monday 17 September 2018
Users of the Tasmania and SA zones are advised that on Monday 17 September there will be a series of rolling outages affecting all Nectar instances in the "tasmania", "tasmania-s", and "sa" availability zones. These outages are part of regular maintenance.
This outage relates to maintenance that requires downtime for the instances. The work will be performed progressively, with a number of compute nodes hosting instances out of service at any one time. It is anticipated that each compute node will take about 1 hour.
The upgrade procedure for each node will be as follows:
- All ACTIVE (i.e. running) NeCTAR instances on the compute node will be shut down.
- The required updates will be done and the compute node will be rebooted.
- All instances that were ACTIVE in step 1 will be restarted.
- If your instances are providing services to end-users, plan an outage window, and announce it to them.
- Ensure that your critical instances have appropriate (and tested) backup / disaster recovery procedures, and that you have recent backups prior to the outage window.
- We recommend that you put your instances into SHUTDOWN state before the outage window, and then restart them yourself when notified. You should definitely do this if your instances are interdependent, or if they have to be restarted in a specific order.
- If you have instances that are surplus to requirements, please release the resources for other users to use. This is includes instances that have been in SHUTDOWN, PAUSED, STOPPED or ERROR state for a long time.
If you have any queries regarding this outage, please contact us by email:
We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused by this outage.